UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Title: Finance Analyst
Functional Title: Analyst
Category Status: Exempt, Regular, Staff, Full-time
Unit: AGNR-Fiscal Office
Position Number: 124163
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR) seeks a Finance Analyst that will be responsible for performing financial analyses, planning and reporting functions, supporting operational tasks, and will work with representatives from diverse business functions across the college and university. This position completes regular financial reporting and ad hoc queries, provides detailed account analyses, tracks financial and budget management activities, and processes financial transactions. Duties also include supporting audit/compliance efforts and providing regular support on operational duties within AGNR under the direction of the Director of Financial and Policy Analysis.
- Analyze financial data from various sources, including budget reports, expenditure records, and program performance metrics, to identify trends, patterns, and areas of improvement.
- Proactively utilize the various business applications to analyze program and financial plans vs. actuals to ensure the data is reasonable and in alignment with the college's funding projections
- Analyze working budget process by providing support to academic departments and checking for adherence to budget guidelines, forecasting plans, etc.
- Develop financial materials for meetings, projections and other financial transactions.
- Analyze and process Start-Up creation and reimbursement requests.
- Identify opportunities for streamlining financial processes and enhancing data accuracy, while collaborating with relevant stakeholders to implement process improvements and update financial procedures
- Manage and record commitments made by the College, including collaboration with the Provost and VPR. Process transfers once appropriate supporting documentation is received.
- Review Procurement Card transactions for compliance with University policies.
- Maintains various spreadsheets and schedules used to calculate and report financial activities.
- Produces and customizes financial reports including spending projections and budgets vs. actuals as requested.
- Collaborate on audit initiatives and aid in federal, state, and county compliance efforts.
- Reconcile and assist with management of the AGNR Dean’s accounts, and track/expedite the status of facility projects, working closely with the AES/UME/department business managers.
- Reconcile monthly reports and assist with processes/procedures that track spending on all accounts within the Dean and Fiscal office.
- Review Foundation financial information to assist the Director of Finance and Policy Analysis.
- Provide fiscal and policy support to units’ business personnel within the Office of the Dean of AGNR, including Academics, University of Maryland Extension (UME) and Agricultural Experiment Station (AES) offices.
- Ensure transactional support to units within the Dean’s department on administrative and financial projects.
- Collaborate with AGNR departments, UMCP departments, third-party vendors, and other parties (as needed) to process research participant payments.
- Engage in frequent contact with internal customers that may involve meetings, project coordination, information sharing, or resolution of problems.
Process Improvement and Support
- Continuously seek opportunities to enhance financial analysis methodologies, tools, and processes to improve efficiency, accuracy, and the overall value of the analysis, including maintenance of comprehensive documentation of financial analysis methodologies and findings.
- Increase financial communications between the Dean’s office and academic units to improve operational workflow. Help implement ad hoc projects and mechanisms for continuous feedback and process improvement initiatives among all AGNR departments and campus-wide entities.
- Provide ad hoc assistance and support to the Director of Finance and Policy Analysis and the Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration, as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Business administration, management, higher education administration, or other related disciplines preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years of experience in business/finance/accounting/operations administration.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive knowledge of Excel (i.e., Pivot Tables, Vlookups, Formula/Function usage, etc.)
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extensive analytical capability in interpreting large data sets, dashboards, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Additional education (Master's in a related field) may substitute for required experience to the extent permitted by UMD
- Experience with fiscal and operational support of an academic unit.
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal agencies and groups involved in college related issues.
- Experience in compliance and audit initiatives
- Experience in large-scale implementations requiring change management
- A demonstrated ability to navigate sensitive issues and arbitrate successful outcomes.
- A demonstrated commitment to exceptional customer service.
This is a full time position located on the College Park campus of the University of Maryland. Telework is offered in the AGNR as determined by AGNR and University policy. Compliance with UMD Telework Agreement is required.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience: The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. For more information regarding employee benefits visit: https://uhr.umd.edu/benefits/
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. A complete application packet includes a letter of application, a current (signed) resume or Curriculum Vitae, copies of transcripts (official transcripts will be required if offered the position), and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: Open until filled. For best consideration please apply by September 29, 2023.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.