HIRING SALARY: $45,498 - $47,773 Annually
OPENING DATE: January 8, 2023
CLOSING DATE: January 22, 2023
POSITION TYPE: Finance
General Statement of Duties
Performs responsible fiscal, paraprofessional and administrative work in the payroll, accounts payable, and human resources programs for the Town
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class prepares payroll and accounts payable, assists the Finance Director with various fiscal report preparation and data compilation, and provides customer service answering phones and email, assisting the public and taking and processing payments for utilities, taxes and other services. The employee must exercise judgment in completing assigned tasks and tact and courtesy in frequent contact with employees, department heads, and the general public. Work requires paraprofessional accounting knowledge and skill, office technology skills and internal and external customer service excellence skills. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated for providing accurate and timely information, service orientation, and knowledge of benefits administration issues.
Essential Duties & Tasks
• Enters time sheet data for bi-weekly payroll; reviews time sheets for proper calculation of time, leave and overtime; transmits file to bank for direct deposit; prepares payroll reports; distributes leave printouts; pays payroll state and federal taxes; updates insurance bills with new and existing employees; prints reports.
• Maintains data base of employees up to date with new and exiting employees, pay and status changes, deduction changes, etc.
• Establishes and maintains vendor files; processes invoices ensuring proper authorization and charge codes; assigns purchase order numbers; obtains W-9s and issues 1099s; prints checks, obtains signatures and mails checks.
• Assists customers with billing questions, complaints and service requests; creates work orders for utility field staff; assists with utility billing process and customer data base maintenance; takes utility and other payments and enters into data base.
• Assists the Finance Director with a variety of fiscal records preparation and data compilation including grant accounting, budget preparation, FEMA mitigation cost calculation, vehicle inventory for insurance purposes, etc.
• Monitors bank activity for checks clearing; approves payments and credit card bills; processes utility bill bank drafts; balances and posts deposits.
Establishes, prepares and maintains a variety of records and reports; manage financial records retention and disposal.
Additional Job Duties
Fills in for absent staff and/or backs up staff as needed.
Performs related duties as required.
FOR FULL JOB DESCRIPTION, VISIT WWW.TOWNOFCARTHAGE.ORG
Applications may be picked up at Carthage Town Hall or online at http://www.townofcarthage.org/forms.aspx.
The Town of Carthage is an Equal Opportunity Employer