Sonoma Raceway is a key location in the Speedway Motorsports nationwide network of entertainment venues. Speedway Motorsports maintains a consistent focus on four core principles:
- Take care of our teammates
- Be known for remarkable events
- Make a positive impact on the community
- Profitably improve our business and operations
He/She will be expected to have a GLOBE mentality. GLOBE stands for Generously Lending Our Best Efforts. This is done by holding themselves and their teammates accountable for taking our best practices “the last mile” – optimizing them for maximum value to all stakeholders while sharing insights on how to improve our company.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the Sonoma Raceway leadership team and provide leadership support and counsel to the GM and the Sonoma Raceway team. He/She will be responsible for the supervision of the day-to-day accounting functions which include accounts payable, billing and receivables, payroll and human resources, general ledger preparation, and financial reporting. The Controller reports to the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Review posting journals to ensure the accuracy of payables, billing, and payroll prior to posting to the general ledger.
- Assist VP of Finance with the preparation of monthly journal entries and review of general ledger activity, ensuring an accurate and timely period end close.
- Assist with the preliminary review of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Ensure all balance sheet accounts are reconciled accurately and timely each month.
- Ensure revenue accounts are reconciled to Archtics and Salesforce after each major event
- Collaborate with other department managers to support overall speedway goals and objectives.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Assist President/GM and other department managers with inquiries regarding financial results, special reporting requests, and the like.
- Gain an understanding of the nuances of the speedway in order to be an effective member of the management team.
- BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting
- 4-6 years of experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Must be PC proficient. Experience with Open Systems or other large accounting systems is a plus. Must have strong experience and proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to work as a team member within the finance department as well as within the organization. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must be organized, accurate, detail-oriented, have strong analytical skills, and ability to prioritize tasks with an energetic and self-motivated attitude
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and in a fast pace environment and meet deadlines.
- Competitive wages
- Medical, dental, and other insurance benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Vacation and paid holidays
Who we are:
Sonoma Raceway is situated in the Sonoma Valley and hosts the best in motorsports entertainment, including the NASCAR Cup Series, NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series, vintage car racing, and more. The facility boasts a world-class road course, as well as a quarter-mile drag strip. In addition, the raceway hosts a variety of annual community and fundraising events (www.SonomaRaceway.com, @RaceSonoma, facebook.com/RaceSonoma).
Sonoma Raceway is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.