Rhode Island Community Food Bank
Position Title: Accounting Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Finance
Department: Finance and Administration
Status: Full-Time/Non-Exempt (hourly)
Work from Home Eligible: No
Our Mission: To improve the quality of life for all Rhode Islanders by advancing solutions to the problem of hunger.
Our Vision: We envision a state where no one goes hungry.
Diversity Statement: The Rhode Island Community Food Bank embodies diversity, serving every part of our state and engaging people from all communities and backgrounds in our work. We are an open and inclusive organization that welcomes, respects, and values all people. Diversity strengthens our organization, so we take responsibility for attracting employees, volunteers and supporters with diverse identities and life experience. When we seek out, recognize, and cultivate diversity within our staff, we create an enriched and more inclusive work environment. Ultimately, it is our collective wisdom that enables us to achieve our mission with creativity and compassion.
The Finance Coordinator will report directly to the Director of Finance and will be responsible for various accounting functions for the finance department. This position is to maintain the monthly invoice process for the Food Bank’s two federal programs and learn the administrative requirements of federal program. The incumbent will be one of two individuals responsible for processing payroll and related payments. Further, this person will be responsible for the reconciliation of various general ledger accounts. Also, the Finance Coordinator serves as a backup to other finance department staff during busy seasons or as needed and will serve as a backup on the reception team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the monthly/quarterly invoice process for federal programs.
- Responsible for maintaining the grant restriction spreadsheet and all appropriate backup for related expenditures.
- Reconcile select general ledger accounts: payroll & payroll tax expense, pension expense, special events, postage, etc.
- Process credit card and web donations daily.
- Process payroll and related payroll benefits.
- Reconcile monthly contributions between the finance department and development department.
- Maintain the fixed asset schedule and calculate monthly deprecation.
- Responsible for preparing the Finance Committee minutes.
- Responsible for the document retention process for the RICFB.
- Prepare quarterly sales tax report.
- Assist Accounts Payable Manager and other Finance Coordinator, as needed.
- Serve as a backup on the reception team.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Associate's or bachelor’s degree (or candidate) in accounting.
- Two years’ experience as a bookkeeper or junior accountant.
- Experience with accounting software (Blackbaud’s Financial Edge preferred, but not required).
- High proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Office environment (Word, Excel, Outlook) and standard office equipment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail, deal with interruptions, and maintain focus on tasks while producing accurate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively when speaking and in writing using standard forms of professional and office communication.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people from diverse social and ethnic backgrounds.
Work is typically performed in an office using computers and phones extensively and may be required to lift to 35 pounds on occasion. If the need arises, works outside of normal working hours for special events or other business-related events.