Under the leadership of the Director of Finance and Administration, the Staff Accountant supports the effective and efficient operation of the department by maintaining current and accurate accounting records for all LRTA financial transactions in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standard Board (GASB), and federal, state and LRTA policies and procedures, and by performing additional tasks as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors accounting and regulatory requirements for LRTA to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.
- Researches and prepares responses to assigned open record requests.
- Performs account receivable duties and other general accounting duties as assigned.
- Participated in the preparation of financial and statistical reports related to transit operations, disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE) participation, SCDOT OPSTATS, FTA NTD, and other programs.
- Maintains accounting records for all LRTA funds to ensure financial information complies with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintains current and accurate balances of the general ledger; reconciles subsidiary ledgers to the general ledger; analyzes accounts for the nature and accuracy of transactions.
- Prepares and analyzes assigned journal entries to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Assists with audit preparation to ensure a thorough and cost-effective annual audit.
- Assists the Director of Finance and Administration in the development and tracking of grant budgets.
- Assist with Procurement.
- Complete special studies and analytical projects.
- Other duties assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Follow the work practices and standard operating procedures for the position. Use and/or wear the appropriate equipment, protective devices or clothing that Palmetto Breeze requires.
Individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. Must possess a valid Driver’s License. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures common to the functions of local government accounting.
- Knowledge of practices and procedures established by the Government Finance Officers' Association (GFOA), Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and other appointed boards and professional standards organizations. Ability to interpret which guidelines and apply to given situations.
- Knowledge of the terminology commonly used in government accounting.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws; ordinances; generally accepted accounting principles; and grant requirements relevant to the financial administration of local government.
- Knowledge of clerical principles, bookkeeping procedures, and filing systems used in local government.
- Knowledge of financial reports such as general ledgers, trial balances, financial statements, balance sheets, income statements, bank statements, bank reconciliations, tax reports, and other reports as required in the performance of duties.
- Knowledge of the operating procedures, internal controls, and organization staff related the financial operations of various departments.
- Skill in the use of computers, various software packages, and other office equipment.
- Skill in preparing, analyzing and interpreting a variety of financial documents, workpapers, and reports.
- Skill in organizational techniques.
- Ability to compile, organize, prepare and maintain an assortment of records, workpapers, reports and information in an effective manner and according to departmental and/or governmental regulations.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to utilize and understand computer applications and techniques as necessary in the completion of daily assignments, specifically Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to comprehend and apply regulations and procedures of the department.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with LRTA employees and employees of other entities through active, clear, and regular communication.
Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of an associate degree in accounting (or a closely related field) is required; with five years of related experience and/or training preferred. Transit Experience is a plus! Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. is required. Accounting software is Incode/Tyler Technologies, experience preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial documents. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information, hear, and respond to questions from groups of managers and employees. Proficient written, oral communication skills and strong inter-personal skills.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations/calculate figures and amounts.
- Ability to solve practical problems, apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions. Possess the ability to deal with problems effectively and learn procedures that require a high degree of responsibility, accuracy, timeliness and precision.
- The physical demands described here are representative of these that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; use their hands and fingers, handle large amounts of paper, talk, listen and comprehend. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Mandatory Agency Requirements:
- Must have at the time of employment and maintain throughout the period of employment, an operational telephone in the employee’s private residence, or a cell phone.
Full-time employees are eligible for great state health plan benefits. Applicants must be able to pass a background check and drug screen. Hourly pay of $25.00 DOQ.
Palmetto Breeze is An Equal Opportunity Employer.