Accounts Payable Specialist
Open Until Filled-
Perform various diversified duties that involve independent judgment in accordance with established procedures; process accounts payable; solve problems; process requisitions, purchase orders and blanket purchase orders, maintain related files, and resolve E-Procurement issues.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review incoming invoices and billing statements, addressing items that are inconsistent with College policies and procedures. Follow-up on any discrepancies found.
- Audit invoices to determine mathematical accuracy and compliance with applicable laws; voucher, print, balance and maintain files of all state, special, and county account expense checks. Be familiar with general ledger account coding in order to determine whether account codes are accurate. Be familiar with basic purchasing guidelines to assist with compliance.
- Receive, match all incoming packing slips and invoices with purchase orders, audit for correctness, and process for payment on a daily basis. Ensure all payments are authorized according to College guidelines and procedures.
- Work closely with the budget accountant to manage departmental budgets to ensure payments are within set budgets.
- Verify, balance, and print student financial aid checks including E-checks as needed.
- Generate reports, checks, and assist with maintaining balances for the bookstore, where needed.
- Research questions/concerns of vendors, students, and employees. Respond to various inquiries from vendors and departments concerning purchase orders.
- Contact vendors to resolve any issues with invoices. Communicate with vendors and shipping and receiving department concerning damaged or wrong items received.
- Process daily DCA deposit check.
- Process Foundation checks, as needed.
- Post positive pay for state, county, special and foundation checks. Monitor for positive pay exceptions daily. Resolve any issues and report any suspected fraud to supervisor immediately.
- Maintain all open and closed purchase orders files.
- Assist state and federal auditors in gathering necessary materials in order to fulfill audit needs.
- Assist with closing out all open orders at end of fiscal year and generating reports needed for fiscal year closeout, including vendor credits and payables.
- Manage accounts payable email and mail, including forwarding emails for authorization, ensuring resolution for all items.
- Process weekly p-card payments for FSI.
- Balance monthly p-card payment to ‘Bank of America’ p-card statement. Assist with monthly p-card program including sending request for reports to users and completing the approval process in accordance with the p-card manual & policies, when needed.
- Assist in preparation and submission of 1099 forms by the required deadline.
- Assist with completion of public information requests accurately and timely.
- Prepare checks and other documents for scanning into the ImageNow system. Assist when needed.
- Contact vendors with outstanding checks greater than 90 days old to assist with the annual escheats process.
- Assist with management of College insurance policies. Duties to include processing insurance payments and claims, premium confirmations, and participating with renewal process.
- Transcribe information onto forms, processes letters, memoranda, reports, tabulations, statements, various card records, and other materials from rough drafts or detailed instructions. Complete forms, permits, notices, or form letters with designated or routine information.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
- Work on projects as identified or assigned.
- Associate degree from a regionally accredited institution in accounting, business, or related field. (Required)
- Minimum of one-year experience in accounting required; two years preferred.
- North Carolina Community College experience preferred.
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague preferred.
- Experience with North Carolina’s E-Procurement purchasing system preferred.
- Working knowledge of operating standard office equipment and related tools and technology required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong organization skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment required.
- Generally, works in a traditional climate-controlled office environment and requires the ability to sit for extended periods.
- Some walking, standing, and bending required, and the ability to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- In addition to regular office hours, position sometimes requires overtime and/or evening hours.
Gaston College provides a comprehensive, affordable insurance and benefits program. We are continuously investigating new benefit offerings that are responsive to the needs of our regular** employees.
- State Health Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Additional Supplemental Insurances
- NC State Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Plans
- Disability Benefits, Long- and Short-Term
- Longevity Pay
- State Employees' Credit Union Eligibility
- Leave (Vacation, Sick, FMLA, Civil and Military, Child/Student Involvement, Education, and Voluntary Shared)
- Paid Holidays
- Educational Advancement Compensation
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Discount Program
- Benefits Overview Booklet
**Please note: Temporary (part-time) employees do not earn benefits.