The City of Raton is seeking a visionary leader and an experienced management professional to serve as their next City Manager. Raton is governed under the Commission – Manager form of municipal government in accordance with New Mexico Statutes, NMSA 1978, §§ 3-14-1 through 3-14-19 (1991). The City Manager serves as the chief administrative officer.
At the direction of the five-member Raton City Commission as an at-will employee, the City Manager plans, coordinates, and directs the day-to-day operations of municipal government; and performs highly responsible management, administrative, and professional duties in the effective implementation of policies established by the City Commission and in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations, and laws.
The City Manager is responsible for recommendations and leadership for organizational goals and objectives; participates in annual budget preparation, financial reporting, auditing procedures, and long-range planning; and effective communication with department personnel, elected officials, and the general public.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Direction and oversight of the City’s leadership team and City Departments, including Police/Dispatch, Fire/EMS, Executive/Administrative, Public Works, Community Facilities, Zoning and Code Enforcement, and Economic Development.
- Personnel management, including staffing of essential municipal functions; staff training, certification and development; performance evaluation; and collective bargaining.
- Develop, enforce, and carry out policies, directives, and ordinances adopted and enacted by the City Commission.
- Participate in preparation of the City’s budget, financial reports, auditing procedures, and long-range planning.
- Prepare recommendations and reports to the City Commission on all matters concerning the welfare of the City.
- Plan, coordinate, prepare, and participate in an advisory capacity at every meeting of the Raton City Commission, in addition to meetings of municipal boards and commissions as appropriate.
- Represent the City of Raton at community, regional, state, and federal level meetings, legislative initiatives, and community development functions.
- Initiate, produce, and manage leveraged funding opportunities related to infrastructure, economic and community development, and revitalization.
- Responds to citizen concerns and requests for information either directly or through staff as appropriate; investigate complaints and initiate resolution.
- Maintain high-quality, well-managed, full-service municipal services and City projects supporting goals and objectives for the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary: $95,000 to $115,000/ annual salary dependent on experience and qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Seven (7) years’ experience in progressively responsible local government management, public administration, or community development, including administrative and supervisory responsibility; graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, preferably with specialization in public or business administration, business, accounting, finance, or a closely related field; or any equivalent combination or experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the above duties will be considered.
The successful candidate must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License throughout employment, and consent to and pass a pre-employment police background investigation, drug/alcohol screen, physical, credit check, academic verification, and to references contact. Pursuant to state statute regarding access to public records, information submitted may be subject to public disclosure. Candidates must demonstrate superior skills in leadership, communication, public relations, and applicable technology.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following:
Candidates should possess a record of exceptional leadership, unquestioned personal and professional ethics, and be able to use a collaborative and team-oriented approach. They should have the ability to effectively speak in public, write proficiently, and encourage effective communication and transparency throughout the City organization. The successful candidate will be required to reside full-time within the City of Raton municipal boundary or municipal water service area within 60 days of hire.
Knowledge and Ability Regarding:
- Proven and successful leadership, ability to lead by example, and inspire respect from the team and staff. Successful candidate will demonstrate ability to lead and manage a complex multifaceted full-service organization.
- Leadership in a highly collaborative community environment requiring close communication and cooperation with partnering stakeholders, including economic development organizations, not-for-profit groups, and other public agencies.
- Possess a successful record regarding community development, infrastructure, economic development, and planning, zoning, and land use.
- Principles and practices of supervision, training, program development, management, budget sustainability, procurement, record keeping, and report preparation.
- Principles, strategies, and implementation of effective community and economic revitalization.
- Personnel and labor principles; experience in a union environment is desired.
- Preparation and submission of grant applications, grant management, and grant administration related to public works and development initiatives.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires standing, walking, lifting, stooping, reaching, bending, kneeling, climbing, squatting, and moving objects up to twenty-five pounds. Must be able to work normal business hours and occasional nights and weekends primarily in an office setting, occasionally travel independently, and enter and exit from vehicles. Manually operate vehicles and office equipment. Candidate shall be required to successfully perform a physical fitness-for-duty test as set out by the City of Raton. Random drug and alcohol testing at employer’s discretion.
An official City of Raton application must be completed and submitted to Cyndi Parker – Human Resources Director of the City of Raton, Post Office Box 910, Raton, New Mexico 87740. Resumes and qualification support information will be accepted but only with an application. Submit a list of five (5) work related references, including email and phone numbers.
Deadline to be considered for the position is June 2, 2023.
Qualified candidates may be invited to participate in an interview / assessment process. All persons offered any job with the City of Raton shall be drug/alcohol screened. Refusal to submit to a drug/alcohol screen will be deemed as a withdrawal of application by the applicant.
The City of Raton is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
To download application and apply today