Superintendent of Facilities Management
The City of Newport is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Superintendent of Facilities Management.
Pay & Hours Per Week:
- Mgmt. Grade: S09
- Min. Salary: $37.08 hourly
- Max. Salary: $52.82 hourly
- Hours per week: 40
- FULL BENEFIT PACKAGE OFFERED
Posting Date: Monday, March 20, 2023
Closing Date: Monday, April 3, 2023
Department: Public Services
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
- Develops & maintains a multi-year capital improvement plan & maintenance program for all municipal & school facilities; oversees execution of approved projects & implements a system to prioritize maintenance projects.
- Oversees all municipal & school construction projects, including any approved new school or repair projects. Attends evening meetings related to any general government or school construction projects.
- Oversees properties owned by the municipality but leased to private entities; manages the disposition of such properties whether by lease or sale.
- Assumes responsibility for the comprehensive overall planning & scheduling & monitoring of maintenance & repair requirements of municipal & school buildings.
- Establishes appropriate preventive maintenance plans & schedules, security systems & procedures, & custodial requirements for each building & installation.
- Develops data regarding building maintenance costs, energy utilization, & more to facilitate informed budgeting & decision-making regarding operations.
- Directs the maintenance of all buildings as to cleanliness & safety.
- Tours buildings & meets regularly with city & school personnel to ensure service level is adequate.
- Ensures that standards consistent with all applicable laws are maintained at a minimum; establishes environmental compliance programs in accordance local, state & federal environmental compliance regulations.
- Determines & establishes detailed bid & quote specifications pertaining to purchase of supplies, materials, equipment, & contract work; oversees the acquisition, storage & issuance of all custodian & maintenance materials, supplies & equipment.
- Responsible for the purchase, utilization & control of all forms of energy used in municipal & school buildings.
- Reviews, on a regular basis, all physical security precautions & procedures, & recommends additions & changes in service as appropriate.
- Prepares & administers the approved budget for facility maintenance, safety & security including supplies, equipment & personnel.
- Supervises & inspects the improvement & renovation work performed by outside contractors & verifies that the terms of all such contracts have been fulfilled before authorizing final payments; ensures that all contract work is procured in accordance with State law & City procurement policies.
- Oversees the recruitment, employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, demotion, or dismissal of custodians, carpenters, plumbers, plant engineers & maintenance personnel according to terms of the collective bargaining agreements & subject to the approval of the City Manager or Superintendent of Schools, as appropriate.
- Independently travels to various work-related locations.
- Organizes & implements an orientation program on proper operation & maintenance of building facilities for applicable personnel; develops & conducts a continuing program of staff training & personnel development as appropriate for departmental activities & staff needs.
- Oversees all aspects of maintenance & operations of HVAC & other applicable building systems in conjunction with the city & school managerial personnel.
- Conducts a comprehensive & detailed cost analysis program of facility expenditures as a basis governing annual forecast of expenditures.
- Exercises tact, diplomacy & discretion in dealing with complex, issues & situations; & develops productive working relationships with residents, city & school employees & members of the general public.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, business, or a related field, with ten (10) years' experience in facilities management (at least five (5) of which shall be supervisory experience) or any equivalent combination of experience & training.
- Knowledge of public procurement laws & regulations; construction & design services contract administration procedures; price trends & grades of quality of materials & equipment; methods & tool/equipment used in the care & maintenance of buildings; hazards & safety precautions common to facility maintenance/repair activities; local government practices & procedures; report writing & preparation; preparation of management of departmental budget; & office automation.
- Ability to manage & direct the activities of large-scale building construction projects; identify short & long range building needs, prioritize projects through development of current year capital budget & long-term capital plans; modify work plans in response to changing priorities or emergencies; ability to plan, organize, direct & supervise the work of department personnel.
- Good budgetary skills; strong negotiation & persuasion abilities; exceptional interpersonal skills; strong organizational abilities & highly detail oriented; superior critical thinking & analytical skills.
- Must have & maintain valid motor vehicle operators license.
Submit resume and/or completed application to: Michael J. Coury, Director of Human Resources City Hall - 43 Broadway Newport, Rhode Island 02840.